Sautéed Spinach, Mushrooms & Sweet Sausage
Sometimes you just need to work with what you have when it is getting late and the troops are hungry. Luckily we had just purchased some beautiful organic spinach from Stone Barns Farmers Market a few days prior. That spinach became our starting point for a healthy, quick and flavorful Monday night dinner. See the recipe and instructions below.
- Add 4-5 sweet sausage links (remove casing) to a skillet
- Saute with a splash of olive oil, breaking up the pieces until the sausage is browned.
- Remove the sausage onto a plate for later.
- Deglaze the sausage fat with a couple of glugs of red wine, scraping the bottom of the pan to loosen the bit and pieces.
- Trim the mushrooms, removing the stems and slicing into halves or thirds
- Saute until soft and fragrant
- Throw the cleaned spinach in and return the sausage to the pan
- Maybe another couple glugs of wine for good measure...
- Put the lid on and steam the spinach until it wilts.
- Salt and pepper to taste and serve.